You have no items in your cart.
PPA Super Day Spring Class – Turn Photographs into Digital Paintings – Charleston, SC
Date(s) - 05/18/2015
9:00 am - 6:00 pm
- 9:00am – We will meet in the morning for a quick hello and free coffee and doughnuts for early birds (my gesture to try and get everyone there on time). I will hand out a schedule for the day, printed directions to the photography location, and any other needed information.
- 9:30am – We will leave for the gardens. We will be driving a short distance to the beautiful Magnolia Gardens (http://www.
- 10:00-12:00pm – Allotted photography time. You are welcome to walk the gardens on your own, there are many beautiful locations and scenery there, or you may stay with the group. I will be offering instruction for photographing on location when the final intention is a digital painting. I am leaving this up to each individual student depending on what you would like to create in your art work, and your own photographic skill level. Since all levels of photographers are welcome, I will not assume that anyone needs photography instruction, but I do have many tips to offer when capturing for a digital painting. I have also arranged for us to have a model for creating artistic kind of portraits because often times the composition we wish for our art “cries” for a subject. If you do wish to photograph with our model, I will require that you stay with the group for those images. However, please note this IS NOT as much of a lighting, posing, or portrait training workshop as it is placing a subject within an artistic composition. The lighting and style of this kind of portrait capturing usually breaks many of the traditionally taught photography “rules”.
- 12:00-1:30pm – There is a small cafe there called the Peacock Cafe, or there is a small place down the road (on the way to our meeting room) called FORK. I can not say enough good things about this little lunch spot. I will reserve a table for the group there but if you wish to eat in the gardens so that you may photograph some more that will be fine too. Just be sure to head to the Meeting room location by 1:30pm.
- 2:00-6:00pm – You will have the 1st 15 minutes to download your images from the gardens, and I will pass around a thumb drive with a sample set of my Photoshop brushes free for the students of this class. I will also include one of my images that I captured during the garden’s peak blooming season for you to practice with. We will then spend the rest of the time learning how to move your images into beautiful digital paintings using only Photoshop. Although I love many plugins and filters, this class will not concentrate on using any of them, but rather being able to render your digital art work using nothing but the tools and filters that come packaged within Photoshop.
- A camera, any camera, even a phone camera is fine.
- Downloading cords, SD card reader, etc… whatever you need for moving the images from your camera to your computer
- Your laptop, and I highly suggest a Wacom tablet. I have two extra small ones I am willing to lend for the purpose of this class (please write me to reserve one – 1st come 1st serve basis) but it’s never good to try and create when you are using new equipment that you have not used before. Here is a link to a very inexpensive model, and the one that I use. If you truly wish to learn to paint digitally YOU WILL NEED one of these eventually. I suggest getting one and getting use to it some before class. There is a bit of a learning curve but once you get use to it you will never turn back.
- Photoshop CS5 or newer installed on your laptop. If you do not have this already, Adobe does offer a 30 day free trial. Please have the software downloaded, registered, and check to be sure it is working before class. Here is a link to the $9.99/ month subscription plan for Photoshop & Lightroom.
TO REGISTER – please go to the Professional Photographers of America website
*Note – you do not have to be a PPA member to attend either of these workshops but you must sign-up and pay through them.
I’m looking forward to seeing you there! – Lori Jill
If you have any questions please feel free to write me at LoriJillDiBiase@gmail.com